I’ve heard many people refer to zucchini as “boring”, and I definitely don’t agree with that sentiment! I love zucchini—it’s one of my favorite fruits (yes, it’s a fruit because it has seeds). Also known as summer squash, zucchini is obviously a summer fare and is freshest when purchased in the summer months. I recently bought some zucchini and experimented with these delicious soft tacos. Loaded with refreshing vegetables, these tacos are so delicious that you will forget they are healthy!
Makes 4 servings
2 radishes, diced
½ red onion, diced
1 teaspoon olive oil
salt to taste
1 tablespoon Canola, sunflower, or grapeseed oil
2 zucchinis, cut into small pieces
salt and pepper to taste
dash of dried oregano
15 ounce can of black beans
8-10 soft tortillas
1) The flavors of the salsa will intensify as it sits, so start by making the salsa. Combine diced radishes, red onion, juice of one lime, olive oil, and salt in bowl and mix. Set aside.
2) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. You will need the oven hot to warm the tacos towards the end of preparation.
3) Heat a skillet to medium high heat. Add Canola oil and heat for about 1-2 minutes. Add the chopped zucchini to the hot skillet and cook for 8-10 minutes. (Everyone likes their vegetables cooked differently- some like crunchy and some like well done. Cook them to your liking.) During the last minute of cooking, add salt, pepper, and oregano to taste.
4) While zucchini is cooking, arrange the soft taco shells on a baking pan. Cover the taco shells with black beans and mash the beans with a fork (pictured below). Place the shells with beans in the oven for 3-5 minutes.
5) Once the tortillas are hot, top with the zucchini mixture and radish salsa and enjoy! Try adding Greek yogurt or queso fresco for extra creaminess.
- Zucchini is high in water and low in calories. One medium zucchini only has 31 calories! A 3 ounce serving of chicken (about the size of your palm) has 135 calories. You can save over 100 calories per serving by making taco night meatless!
- One zucchini contains more than ½ the daily value of Vitamin C, making it a great immunity booster.
- Radishes are a crunchy cool refreshing snack with a high water content, which will help keep you hydrated in the hot summer months.
- Half a cup of radishes has 5% of the daily value of fiber and 15% daily value of Vitamin C. Fiber aids in digestion and leaves you feeling fuller longer, while Vitamin C helps prevent colds and sickness.