Today’s Day 11 Challenge kills two birds with one stone (without killing any birds, of course).
Day 11 Challenge: Meatless Monday, Part 2
The rules and reasons for going Meatless are the same as Day 4, but there’s a special addition with this post: a recipe inspired by The Recipe ReDux’s Progresso Comfort Food Challenge. Progresso has a new line of Cooking Stock that tastes homemade because it is made with real vegetables. Progresso challenged Recipe ReDux members to use their new stock to make one of our favorite comfort food dishes. In case you needed a little extra inspiration for your Meatless Monday challenge, here’s a recipe for a delicious Mexican Pizza.
Mexican rice and beans is one of my all-time favorite comfort food vegetarian dishes. This recipe uses Progresso’s Vegetable stock to make delicious, flavorful rice and beans that can be made in one pot and served up by themselves. The stock really adds so much more flavor to the rice and beans than boiling in just water. Even better than a hearty bowl of rice and beans is rice and beans served on a crispy tortilla and covered in cheese, vegetables and Greek yogurt (my healthy version of sour cream). Cook this up for Meatless Monday or any night of the week, and it’s guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser. Tomorrow will be a new challenge that you haven’t seen before, so enjoy this easy repeat!
Makes 4 Servings
For the Rice & Beans:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small red onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup diced tomatoes
3/4 cup brown rice
1/4 cup brown lentil
2 cups (15-oz. can) cooked pinto beans, washed and drained
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon chipotle chili
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
4 cups Progresso vegetable stock
For the pizza:
4 whole wheat tortillas
1/4 cup Mexican cheese
1 chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped spinach
4 teaspoons non-fat Greek yogurt
- Heat a sauce pot over medium high heat for 1-2 minutes. Add oil to the pot. Add the onion and red pepper to the pot and cook for 1-2 minutes. Next, add the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, brown rice, lentils, pinto beans, paprika, chili powder, salt and oregano to the pot and stir well. Make sure everything is evenly coated. Pour the stock into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Once the pot reaches a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- After the rice and beans are cooked, let them sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Make your Mexican pizza by layering a tortilla, rice and beans, cheese and red peppers. Place in the over for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and sprinkle with chopped spinach, lime juice and a dollop of Greek yogurt.
Disclosure: I received free samples of Progresso Cooking Stock mentioned in this post at no cost. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Progresso Cooking Stock and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.