The Recipe ReDux turns 5 today, and I couldn’t be more thrilled to be a member of this awesome group! With hundreds of healthy eating bloggers, The Recipe ReDux showcases tons of healthy recipes each month. I started blogging about 2 years ago because I wanted to share recipes with friends and family. Little did I know that I would absolutely love it and pursue a writing career. I really credit The Recipe ReDux with motivating me to stay on top of my blog. This month’s theme is to “Pick a fellow ReDuxer, go to their blog and either make one of their recipes or create one of your own inspired by theirs.” These Quinoa Corn Fritters are inspired by Alex Caspero, MA, RD of Delish Knowledge.
I’ve always been a secret admirer of Alex’s blog. She creates such fun and healthy vegetarian dishes, and she takes the most wonderful pictures of her food. One of her most popular dishes in 2015 were these Greek Quinoa Zucchini Fritters. While I really love zucchini, as soon as I read the word “fritters”, I immediately thought of corn. My grandmother used to make the most amazing corn fritters, which were totally unhealthy and fried in tons of oil. I tried to lighten them up by using quinoa, like in Alex’s recipe. And, corn is in season right now, so it’s deliciously sweet, cheap and easy to find!
Makes 4-5 fritters
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
1 ear of corn
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 carrot, shredded
Juice of half a lemon
1 cup of flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of oregano
2 tablespoons of Vegetable or Canola oil
- Combine the quinoa and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Once it’s boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use a knife to cut the corn off the ear.Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil. Then, add the onions and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add the corn and sauté for another 1-2 minutes. Lastly, add the garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes. Set aside in a bowl to cool. When the quinoa is cooked, add it to the bowl to cool.
- Using a box shredder or food processor (with shredding blade), shred the carrot. Add to the bowl.
- To the bowl, add the lemon, egg, flour, baking powder, salt and oregano. Mix well.
- Using clean hands, mold the mixture into fritters.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add oil. When the pan is hot, drop the fritters onto the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then flip and cook for 3-4 minutes on the other side.