As many of you know, I’m a vegetarian. It’s my way of life, and I do it for a multitude of reasons, such as health benefits, the environment and affordability. I don’t try to push my vegetarian lifestyle onto anyone, but I do think everyone would benefit from skipping the meat one day per week. That’s why I’m going to try to post more Meatless Monday recipes, like this delicious Chickpea Salad Sandwich With Sweet Apple Slaw.
With that being said, all of my recipes are meatless, and I think they are perfect any night of the week.
If you know me and my cooking style, then you know that I create simple, yet delicious, healthy food. This sandwich is a twist on two classics: tuna salad and cole slaw. This chickpea salad doesn’t contain any mayo, but uses a combo of mashed avocado and cottage cheese to give a delicious creaminess. The sweet slaw counteracts the tanginess of the chickpea salad and adds a bit of a crunch. The beans, veggies, dairy, oils and fruits makes this sandwich packed with fiber, protein, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. Talk about a well balanced lunch! And, as many of my fellow vegetarians know, it’s not always easy to find a good vegetarian sandwich that isn’t just cheese. So, enjoy this for a Meatless Monday lunch or dinner and your health and environment will thank you!
Makes 3-4 sandwiches
2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 1/2 avocado, peeled and de-seeded
1/2 cup cottage cheese
Juice of 1 lemon
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 small white onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup sliced red and green cabbage
1 red apple, grated
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
salt and pepper for taste
Whole wheat bread
Spinach or lettuce
- In a food processor, combine the chickpeas and lemon zest. Process until mostly smooth, with small chunks.
- In a separate bowl, mash the avocado with a fork. Add the cottage cheese and lemon juice, and stir until combined.
- Add the carrots, onions, salt and chickpeas to the bowl with the avocado mixture and stir.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cabbage and grated red apple. In a small bowl make the dressing by whisking together the oil, vinegar, mustard, and honey. Pour the dressing over the slaw.
- Toast the bread, and then assemble the sandwich. On the bread, layer the spinach or lettuce, chickpea salad and slaw.