Ever wonder what a food blogging Dietitian does on her day off? She makes healthy brownies, of course. Actually, it wasn’t really my day off… Last week, I went to the eye doctor and I stupidly scheduled the appointment for 10am. I didn’t think about the fact that they were going to dilate my eyes and I wouldn’t be able to see anything–including screens. So, I pretty much had nothing to do. No computer, no TV, no books, no magazines, and it was raining out, so no running. But there is a thing that I love to do that doesn’t require reading or seeing that well–cooking.
I’ve been wanting to create something with pumpkin since the beginning of September, and I’ve also been craving sweets with all of my marathon training. Obviously I couldn’t make the decadent brownies with tons of butter and sugar (mostly because I would end up eating them all at once), so I decided to try black bean brownies made with pumpkin. This healthier version of brownies is moist and full of protein, and you won’t feel overly full if you indulge in more than one.
Get your fall flavor and chocolate fix all at once in these lovely Pumpkin Swirl Salted Brownies.
Makes 12 brownies
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
2 tablespoons maple syrup
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pumpkin Swirl Topping:
2/3 cup unsweetened pumpkin
2 tablespoon siggi’s vanilla yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
Coarse sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- In a food processor, combine the beans, eggs, oil, pumpkin and maple syrup. Process until smooth. Then add the cocoa, salt, sugar and baking powder to the food processor. Process again until smooth and well combined.
- Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray. Pour the brownie mixture into each muffin cup until they are all evenly filled.
- Make the topping by stirring together pumpkin, siggi’s yogurt, honey and salt. Top each brownie with a small teaspoon of pumpkin topping. For the swirl, take a knife a lightly make a swirling motion in the top of each brownie.
- Optional–sprinkle some coarse sea salt over each brownie.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. To see if they are done, stick a knife in the brownie. It should come out clean when they are ready.