This week I came to a realization about myself…I’m a terrible blog planner. I’ve always wanted to be the type of person that plans blog posts weeks in advance or uses an editorial calendar to stay track, but I’m just not that person. I tend to write a blog posts when I have the time or come up with a stellar idea (re: marathon training and weight gain), and sometimes that’s every two weeks or sometimes that’s twice in two days. Although I want to space out my brilliant ideas (sarcasm), I get impatient and impetuous, and I need to share posts with you the MOMENT they’re done. It’s actually nice when you can accept your flaws, so here we are with my second blog post in two days.
This month’s Recipe ReDux challenge was to create a delicious plant powered bowl:
“Packed with protein, fiber and color, plant power bowls are trendy and delicious. Show us the healthy recipe that’s in your bowl.”
And what’s trendier right now than a brown rice bowl?! Nothing! That’s why I decided to use fall fruits and veggie to create a Sweet & Savory Fall Harvest Bowl. The combination of roasted pears, grapes, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower is so simple yet so complex in flavors. In one bite, you will taste sweet, salty, savory, crunchy and juicy. Plus, you will be loading up on your vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber. And, I forgot the best part! All of these ingredients can be roasted up on one pan for a quick and easy meal that’s ready in 45 minutes!
Makes 2 bowls
1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup water
1 pear, washed and cut into 1 inch thick slices
2 cups Brussels sprouts, washed and sliced in half
1/2 head cauliflower, chopped into large pieces
2 cups red grapes, washed and sliced in half
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salted pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon raw walnuts
- Fill a medium sized pot with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, add the rice and reduce the heat to simmer. Simmer for 40-45 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced pear, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, grapes, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Evenly distribute all the fruits and veggies on a pan and put in the oven. Roast for 15 minutes.
- When both the rice and veggies are cooked, combine them and mix well. Divide the mixture evenly between two bowls. Top each bowl with 1/2 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds and 1/2 tablespoon walnuts.