Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Welch’s. I was compensated for my time, but the recipe and opinions are my own.
As I mentioned yesterday, today starts American Heart Month, otherwise known as every Dietitian’s second favorite month (next to National Nutrition Month in March, of course)! To start off heart month with a bang, I’m showcasing a recipe that uses a heart healthy ingredient– Concord grape juice. Since Concord grapes are a rather rare ingredient, here are 5 things you may not know about these little purple beauties:
- The Mighty Concord grape is boldly delicious and nutritious—delivering natural plant nutrients, known as polyphenols.
- Concord grapes provide many of the same polyphenols (or plant nutrients) and heart-health benefits as red wine.
- Concord grapes are harvested and in season during just a few short weeks each fall, plus they don’t travel well – so, it can be hard to find them fresh.
- Don’t fear if you can’t find Concord grapes! Nearly 20 years of research says that, thanks to the dark purple Concord grape, 100% Welch’s Grape Juice helps support a healthy heart.
- Welch’s 100% Grape Juice is THE way to get the delicious taste and health benefits of the one-of-a-kind Concord grape.
I have to be honest, I’ve rarely seen Concord grapes in my grocery store. And since I wanted to include the mighty Concord’s heart healthy powers in this recipe, I decided to make my life easier and use Welch’s 100% Grape Juice instead. And I have to say, the sweet and tangy flavor of the grape juice made the perfect glaze for my carrot tacos.
They were so good that I considered just eating the carrots alone, but alas, I like to provide you with a full meal. So, the amazingly delicious Welch’s 100% Grape Juice glazed carrots are combined with a limey mashed black bean and topped with feta, parsley and pumpkin seeds. The combination may sound odd, but I promise you it’s a winner that you will want to eat over and over again.
Makes 6-8 tacos (2 tacos per serving)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Welch’s 100% Grape Juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 large carrots, washed and cut into 1/3’s (cut the really thick pieces in half)
1 cup black beans
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 teaspoon cumin
8 corn tortillas
1/4 cup feta cheese
2 tablespoons unsalted pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, Welch’s 100% Grape Juice, red wine vinegar, salt and garlic until the oil and vinegar combine.
- Place the chopped carrots in a large bowl and pour the grape juice mixture over them. Toss the carrots until they are thoroughly coated with the liquid.
- Place the carrots on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until you can easily stick a fork through the carrot. (Do not turn the oven off when the carrots are done- you will need it again.)
- While the carrots are roasting, combine the black beans, lime juice and cumin in a bowl. Mash with a fork until they are slightly chunky.
- When the carrots are roasted, build the tacos. Spread the bean mixture onto the corn tortillas and top each with two pieces of carrot, 1 tablespoon of feta cheese and a few pumpkin seeds. Place in the oven for 3-5 more minutes or until the tortilla is warm. Sprinkle with parsley and enjoy!