I hope you feel well-rested today because today is an exercise challenge.
Day 17: Strength Training Sunday
Today’s challenge is to spend 30 minutes focusing on strength-training. By strength-training, I mean using weights and/or body weight to build your strength. Cardio exercises burn more calories and help prevent weight gain, so they get more attention than strength training. But strength training is just as important, especially for women. Here’s why:
- After the age of 25, women’s bones only lose density, which can lead to osteoporosis in later years. Strength training is one of the best ways to prevent bone loss that comes with aging.
- Strength training does not cause bulkiness. So many people tell me that they want “lean” muscles, and I tell them that any type of muscle definition will make you leaner. Lifting weights can take inches off of your body.
- Strength training can help you perfect other exercises, like running, and prevent injury. Think about it: if you build stronger muscles, you are less likely to become injured.
For today, I want you to do 30-minutes (if you can) of strength training. There’s a few ways to complete this:
- Go to a strength training class at your gym
- If you have weights at home, find a strength training video on YouTube
- Use your own body weight to strength train. Find a yoga or pilates video on YouTube or a class at your gym. These are great exercises to build strength without lifting weights.
One final word of wisdom: if you have never strength trained before and have questions, please ask! Also, start out with small weights. Don’t overdo it and end up injured!