Today concludes the first week of the 30-Day Healthy Living Challenge. How do you feel?! I want to thank all of you that have been following, and I welcome any new followers for week 2. I had a hard time yesterday because I was out from 6:30am until 9pm. I’m sure we have all experienced that healthy eating become more difficult when time is limited. I grabbed a quick dinner on the go, but I was still able to get a sandwich with whole grain bread (grains), zucchini and eggplant (veggies), and chickpeas (protein). So My Plate works even when you don’t have a plate!
Day 7 Challenge: Eat Only Whole Grains
Day 7 is all about one aspect of the plate: grains. Specifically, let’s talk about whole grains. Many of my clients are confused by this topic. A “whole” grain is a grain that includes all of its natural parts. I won’t bore you with confusing names, but a whole grain has not had any part of the grain stripped out. Because of that, whole grains have a lot more fiber and protein than non-whole grains, aka white or “refined” grains. The Day 7 challenge is to eat only whole grains. Here are a bunch of examples of whole grains:
- Whole wheat or whole grain bread (read the ingredients and make sure it says the word “whole” before the wheat)
- Brown rice
- Wild rice
- Whole wheat pasta
Try to be diverse in your choices. Choose a different type of whole grain at each meal.
These are some examples of refined grains to avoid:
- white bread
- white rice
- regular pasta
- pancakes, waffles, muffins, pastries, donuts, etc.
Since I never ask you to do something without providing a reason, here’s why whole grains are so good for you:
- They have much more fiber than refined grains. Fiber keeps you fuller longer, which means you will eat less.
- A diet high in fiber has been linked to a healthy heart, lower cholesterol and lower blood pressure.
- Whole grains contain more protein than refined grains. Protein provides a feeling of satisfaction and fullness after a meal.
Whole grains are everywhere now—I would even say they have become trendy. Hopefully this Day 7 challenge will be easy for you!