There are some things that I just can’t bring myself to buy in the store. Pancake mix is one of them and trail mix is another. It’s just one of those things that is loaded with calories and sugar and is marketed as healthy. Seriously, how is something with M&M’s in it mistaken as a healthy snack? That’s why I decided to make my own at home.
I tried a new technique for this recipe. I dried blueberries in the oven, and it turned out really great. I also used walnuts because they have a high omega-3 counts and a whole host of research about their health benefits. I find these three studies especially interesting.
- Walnuts Consumed by Healthy Adults Provide Less Available Energy than Predicted by the Atwater Factors— Essentially, the study found that one serving of walnuts actually contains 146 calories, which is 39 calories per serving less than the 185 calories listed on the label.
- Changes in the Gut Microbial Communities Following Addition of Walnuts to the Diet— The good bacteria that lives in our gut changes in a positive way after eating walnuts.
- Effects of Walnut Consumption on Mood in Young Adults – a Randomized Controlled Trial— Non-depressed young adults who ate walnuts have a boost in mood.
Pin this recipe for later!So, in other words, this trail mix is really good for you instead of full of junk food, and it tastes like maple syrup and blueberries. It’s a great way to power you through a weekend hike, bike or jog.Make a trail mix that is actually healthy! Blueberry Maple Walnuts Trail Mix FTW. Click To Tweet
Blueberry Maple Walnut Trail Mix
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Place blueberries on a baking sheet and bake for at least 2 hours. The blueberries will be shriveled and mostly dry at the end of the baking process. (The blueberries will dry even further during the cooling process).
While the blueberries cook, combine the oats, walnuts, maple syrup, vegetable oil and salt in a small bowl. Mix until well combined.
About an hour through the blueberry baking process, take the pan out of the oven. Lay the oat mixture on the same pan and continue to bake for another hour.
After everything is done, combine the ingredients in a bowl.