Disclosure: I received free samples of Sabra Spreads mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Trying to find a tasty and hearty vegetarian sandwich is like searching for a needle in a haystack. Most veggie sandwiches are the same old boring combo of cheese, lettuce and tomato between two slices of bread. Why are sandwiches so meat and cheese focused, and why can’t there be one that features seasonal fall produce ? Well my veggie friends, there’s no need to search for a good vegetarian sandwich any longer because I’ve created one and it doesn’t have any cheese, lettuce or tomato. This Lemon Pepper Cauliflower & Kale Sandwich is made with Sabra’s new Sea Salt and Black Pepper Spread and should probably be your lunch every day for the next week.
Yup, that’s right. Everyone’s favorite hummus company has now come out with sandwich spreads that are made from fresh ingredients, like chickpeas and tahini, have 75% less fat than mayo, and come in a convenient squeeze bottle. The Sea Salt and Black Pepper spread inspired me to create one of my favorite flavor combinations-lemon pepper. The cauliflower packs this sandwich with fiber, while the kale adds many wonderful nutrients and a nice bite. Combine it with Sabra’s Sea Salt and Black Pepper Spread on toasted multi-grain bread and you have a vegetarian sandwich that is 1,000 times better than any boring old cheese sandwich.
Makes 2 sandwiches:
juice of 1/2 a lemon
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup cauliflower, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 cup kale, washed with the stems removed
4 tablespoons Sabra Sea Salt and Black Pepper Spread
4 slices multi-grain bread
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and salt. In a large bowl, drizzle it over the chopped cauliflower. Stir until it’s evenly coated.
- Place the cauliflower on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, turning at the halfway mark.
- Meanwhile, whisk together 1 tablespoon of extra virgin and red wine vinegar. Toss the kale leaves in the oil and vinegar.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of Sabra Sea Salt and Black Pepper Spread on each slice of bread. Then, layer on the cauliflower and kale.