This vibrant and easy vegan BBQ tofu bowl comes together in 30 minutes or less. Healthy & full of plant-based protein. Great vegetarian lunch or dinner!
I’ve been making this BBQ Tofu Salad Bowl on repeat for a simple meal-prepped lunch. Not only is it crunchy and vibrant, but it’s also good for you and packed with protein. If you’re tired of tofu covered in teriyaki sauce, switch things up with this BBQ tofu.
Is tofu good for you?
Tofu is a fantastic plant-based protein. It’s one of the only complete meatless proteins, meaning that it contains all 9 essential amino acids.
Just 3-ounces of tofu has 9 grams of protein for only 90 calories. Plus, tofu is a great non-dairy source of calcium, and some brands are even fortified with vitamin B12 and vitamin D.
[Read more: Everything You Need To Know About Tofu]
How to make tofu taste good
I hate mushy tofu (who doesn’t?)! That’s why I always use this simple method to dry out my tofu and cook it in either the oven or on the stovetop. For this recipe, the tofu is cooked in the pan to create a crispy golden brown outer layer.
The BBQ sauce is added at the last minute to coat the tofu with sweet and sticky goodness. And the best part is that this cooking method takes about 7-8 minutes flat. Next time you want to whip up some quick plant-based protein, try this method!
How to make a BBQ Tofu Salad Bowl
This bowl is so easy. As a matter of fact, the only things you need to cook are the tofu and sweet potato. The rest of the process is just chopping veggies and mixing together a simple dressing. Here’s the process.
- Press out the tofu using this method.
- Chop the veggies.
- Cook the sweet potato in the oven.
- Defrost the corn in the microwave.
- Whip up the dressing.
- Cook the tofu.
- Assemble the salad.
Feel free to skip step #1 if you’re short on time!
As with most of my recipes, you can make additions or substitutions to the ingredients. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- If you’re short of time, skip the sweet potato
- For a heartier meal, put the whole salad or a grain, like brown rice or quinoa
- Add some greens, like spinach, kale or roasted broccoli
- Add black beans for even more protein
- Top with fresh herbs, like chopped cilantro
- Add diced tomatoes
Have other substitution ideas of questions? Leave them in the comments below.
Meal prep tips
I like to make these tofu bowl and divide them into single serve containers to have for lunch. Since the veggies are crisp, this will last for several days in the fridge. I do have a few meal prep tips though to make sure these taste as good as possible:
- Don’t add the dressing until you’re ready to eat
- Eat them cold. You may think eating roasted sweet potato cold is weird, but it tastes good! The varying textures of the crunchy and soft veggies adds a nice element to the bowls.
- If the tofu gets dried out, add a dash of extra BBQ sauce before eating (a teaspoon should be enough).
If you make this recipe, share your creation with me on Instagram! Make sure you tag @nutritionalanat.