Disclosure: I work with Dave’s Killer Bread to help people make healthy food choices.
Did you know that tomorrow starts American Heart Month? Yup, there’s an entire month dedicated to raising awareness for heart health and heart disease–aka the number #1 killer in the United States.
As a Dietitian, I’m thoroughly embracing this month as a way to promote healthy habits. I’ve even decided to start it a day early with this recipe for heart healthy breakfast. This Turmeric Egg Sandwich contains three ingredients that are guaranteed to keep your ticker happy and healthy:
- Dave’s Killer Bread 21 Whole Grains and Seeds
- Swiss chard
Research has shown that three nutrients are vital to keeping your heart healthy–fiber, omegas and antioxidants. The combination of ingredients in this breakfast sandwich provides plenty of all of these nutrients. Let’s take a deeper look at each component:
Dave’s Killer Bread 21 Whole Grains and Seeds: this organic whole grain bread consists of a mixture of 21 whole grains and seeds. Each slice has 5 grams of fiber (or 20% of your daily value), 5 grams of protein, 250 milligrams of omega-3 (about half the amount you should have in a day), and 22 grams of whole grains. That’s a ton of nutrients for only 120 calories!
Turmeric: I don’t think I can say enough good things about turmeric. Not only is it a beautiful golden color with a peppery flavor, but it’s also loaded with antioxidants and has been associated with fighting cancer and treating arthritis and Alzheimer’s disease.
Swiss chard: I love this leafy green because it’s packed with antioxidants, including Vitamin C to keep your immune system healthy and fight off winter colds. Swiss chard grows best in the winter, and it’s naturally colorful, vibrant and not too chewy.
If that doesn’t convince you to make this heart healthy breakfast sandwich, I don’t know what will!
Makes 2 sandwiches
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon chili paste
1 cup swiss chard, washed and de-stemmed, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons red onion, diced
4 slices Dave’s Killer Bread 21 Whole Grains and Seeds
1/4 cup feta cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the cumin, turmeric and sea salt. Stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, crack the eggs and add the milk, chili paste and spice mixture. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Add the swiss chard to the egg mixture and stir.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the oil to the pan and heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the onions to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add the egg mixture to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, flipping continuously. Remove from the heat when finished to avoid overcooking the eggs.
- Toast the bread to your preferred doneness.
- Divide the egg mixture in half and assemble the sandwiches by placing the egg mixture on the bread and topping with 2 tablespoons of feta cheese (on each sandwich).