The Recipe ReDux, aka September 21st, snuck up on me this month. With studying (and passing!) my RD exam and starting a new job, the end of August and beginning of September flew by. Luckily, I had a post ready to go that fits into this month’s theme perfectly.
September’s Recipe ReDux challenge is to “Share your tips and tricks for making one – or more freezer meals.” I’m always eating breakfast on the go and I wanted a healthy and filling breakfast that I could grab from my freezer and pop in the microwave in the morning. Loaded with vegetables and protein, these Green Egg & Quinoa Muffins fit the bill! Since they are packed with kale and broccoli, they are perfect for anyone who wants to eat their green veggies in the morning. If you can’t go for veggies in the morning, try them for lunch or dinner. Pair them with some healthy sweet potatoes and you have a delicious well-balanced meal with veggies, whole grains, lean protein, and a starch. Make all 15 and freeze the extras. Microwave them straight from the freezer for 1-2 minutes for a healthy breakfast on-the-go.
Makes 15 muffins
1/2 cup of quinoa
1 cup of water
½ medium red onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 ½ cups of chopped kale
1 cup of chopped broccoli
¼ cup of sharp cheddar cheese, grated or chopped into small pieces
½ teaspoon of salt
Pepper to taste
- Add the quinoa and water to a pot and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. All of the water will be absorbed when the quinoa is done.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the onion, garlic, kale and broccoli in a bowl. Add the cooked quinoa to the bowl and stir.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all of the eggs.
- Add the egg mixture, cheese, salt, and pepper to the vegetable mixture. Stir to combine.
- Use cooking spray to coat a muffin pan. Evenly pour the muffin mixture into the pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes. It should make about 15 muffins.